The Stone apple, also known as the Bengal quince, is a tropical fruit that grows in Southeast Asia and parts of Australia.
It is a popular fruit in the region and has been used for centuries for its health benefits. The stone apple is an oblong fruit with a hard, green shell with pulpy, white flesh inside.
In this article, we will explore the top 10 surprising stone apple health benefits, its nutritional value, and its different regional names.
Table of Contents
What is stone apple?
Stone apple, also known as bael, is a fruit that grows in tropical regions of Asia, including India, Bangladesh, and Thailand.
The fruit is roughly the size of a large apple or grapefruit, with a hard, woody outer shell that is green when unripe and turns yellow or brown when ripe.
The flesh inside is white or yellow and has a sweet and slightly sour taste. It is often used in traditional medicine for its various health benefits, such as aiding digestion and treating respiratory problems.
Stone Apple Nutritional Value
Stone apple is a nutritious fruit that contains various vitamins and minerals essential for good health. One cup (180g) of a sliced stone apple includes the following nutrients:
- Calories: 71
- Protein: 2g
- Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3g
- Vitamin C: 39% of the daily value
- Vitamin A: 10% of the daily value
- Calcium: 2% of the daily value
- Iron: 2% of the daily value
As you can see, the stone apple is a low-calorie fruit high in fiber and vitamin C, making it an excellent choice for anyone looking to maintain a healthy diet.
10 Surprising Stone Apple Health Benefits
- Stone apple is an excellent vitamin C source for boosting your immune system.
- Vitamin C helps to stimulate the production of white blood cells, which fight against infections and diseases.
- Regularly consuming stone apples can help keep your immune system strong and healthy.
- Stone apple is high in fiber, which makes it an excellent fruit for improving digestion.
- Fiber helps to promote regular bowel movements and prevent constipation.
- It also helps keep you feeling full for extended periods, which can help with weight management.
- Stone apple contains anti-inflammatory compounds that help to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Inflammation is a natural response to injury or infection, but chronic inflammation can lead to various health problems.
- Regular consumption of stone apples can help to keep inflammation in check.
Lowers Blood Pressure
- Stone apple contains potassium, essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure levels.
- Potassium helps to regulate the balance of sodium in the body, which can help to lower blood pressure.
- Regularly consuming stone apples can help prevent hypertension and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Supports Heart Health
- Stone apple contains antioxidants, which help to protect the heart from damage caused by free radicals.
- Free radicals can cause oxidative stress, which can lead to heart disease.
- Regularly consuming stone apples can help keep the heart healthy and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Improves Skin Health
- Stone apple is rich in vitamin C, essential for healthy skin.
- Vitamin C helps produce collagen, a protein that gives the skin elasticity.
- Regularly consuming stone apples can help keep your skin youthful and healthy.
- Stone apple contains magnesium, a mineral that helps to promote relaxation and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Magnesium helps regulate the release of stress hormones, including cortisol, and encourages calmness and tranquility.
- A magnesium-rich diet can help reduce the risk of anxiety and depression and promote overall mental health.
- Stone apple contains vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining healthy vision.
- Vitamin A helps to protect the eyes from damage caused by free radicals and improves night vision.
- Regularly consuming stone apples can help prevent age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Stone apple is a good source of carbohydrates, the body’s primary energy source.
- Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose, which the body uses for energy.
- Regularly consuming stone apples can help keep you energized and prevent fatigue.
Improves Bone Health
- Stone apple contains calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones.
- Calcium helps build and maintain bone density, preventing osteoporosis and fractures.
- Regularly consuming stone apples can help keep your bones healthy and strong.
How to consume stone apple?
Stone apple, also known as bael, is a tropical fruit widely popular in Southeast Asia, India, and Africa. This section will explore how to consume a stone apple and some of the best ways to enjoy it.
Eating stone apple raw
The most straightforward way to consume stone apples is by eating them raw.
- You must peel off the rough, thick outer skin with a sharp knife to eat it, revealing the fleshy, creamy interior.
- The flesh is white or yellowish and has a sweet and sour taste similar to a combination of apple, pear, and pineapple.
- You can eat it as it is or sprinkle salt, chili powder, or sugar on top to enhance the flavor.
Making stone apple juice or smoothies
Another delicious way to consume stone apples is by making juice or smoothies.
- Blend the peeled and deseeded stone apple with water to make juice, and strain the liquid through a fine sieve.
- Add sugar or honey to sweeten it and a pinch of salt to balance the taste.
- You can also add lemon juice, ginger, or mint leaves to give it a refreshing twist.
For a thicker and creamier consistency, make a stone apple smoothie by blending the fruit with yogurt, milk, or coconut water. Add other fruits like bananas, mangoes, or berries to make a colorful and nutritious smoothie.
Preparing stone apple desserts or jams
Stone apple is a versatile fruit that can be used to make a variety of desserts and jams. To make a simple dessert;
- Mix the peeled and chopped stone apple with whipped cream, condensed milk, or custard, and chill it in the fridge for a few hours.
- Add chopped nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips to make it more indulgent.
- Mix the stone apple with other fruits, such as papaya, kiwi, or strawberries, and top it with Greek yogurt or honey for a healthier dessert.
To make a stone apple jam;
- Cook the peeled and chopped fruit with sugar, lemon juice, and water until it thickens and has a jam-like consistency.
- Pour the hot jam into sterilized jars, and store them in a cool and dry place.
- Stone apple jam is a delicious toast, biscuit, or pancake spread.
Precautions while consuming stone apple
Stone apple, also known as bael, is a highly nutritious tropical fruit with several health benefits. However, like any other food, it is essential to consume it in moderation and with caution.
Overconsumption may lead to digestive issues.
Stone apple is high in fiber, which is beneficial for digestive health. However, consuming too much fiber can lead to digestive problems such as bloating, gas, and constipation.
It is recommended to consume stone apples in moderation and gradually increase the intake to allow the body to adjust to the fiber content. Drinking plenty of water can also help to prevent constipation.
Avoid eating unripe or overripe fruit.
Choosing ripe stone apples when consuming them is crucial, as unripe or overripe fruits can cause health problems. Unripe stone apple contains a toxic substance called alkaloids, which can cause nausea, vomiting, and stomach cramps.
On the other hand, overripe stone apples can be fermented, leading to the growth of harmful bacteria and toxins that can cause food poisoning. Therefore, selecting fully ripe and fresh stone apples for consumption is recommended.
People with diabetes should consult a doctor before consuming stone apple
Stone apple has a low glycemic index, which can help regulate blood sugar levels. However, people with diabetes should consult their doctor before drinking a stone apple, as it can still affect blood sugar levels.
Stone apple contains natural sugars, and overconsumption can lead to a sudden spike in blood sugar levels. Consuming stone apples in moderation and monitoring blood sugar levels is essential.
What is the stone apple, and what are its health benefits?
Stone apple, also known as “bael” in Hindi, is a fruit native to India and Southeast Asia. It has been used for centuries in traditional medicine to treat various ailments, such as diarrhea, dysentery, and respiratory problems. Stone apple is believed to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties and be beneficial for digestive health and the immune system.
How does the stone apple benefit digestive health?
Stone apple is known for its digestive properties and is commonly used to treat constipation, indigestion, and other digestive issues. It contains compounds that help stimulate the digestive system and promote the production of digestive enzymes, which can help improve digestion and relieve constipation.
Can stone apple help boost the immune system?
The stone apple is believed to have immune-boosting properties due to its high vitamin C content. Vitamin C is an important antioxidant that helps protect the body against damage from free radicals and supports the immune system.
Does the stone apple have any anti-inflammatory properties?
Yes, the stone apple is believed to have anti-inflammatory properties due to the presence of certain compounds, such as tannins and flavonoids. These compounds have been shown to help reduce inflammation in the body, which can help alleviate symptoms of inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.
Are there any potential side effects of consuming stone apples?
While stone apple is generally safe for most people, consuming excessive amounts may cause constipation or other digestive issues. Additionally, individuals allergic to latex may experience an allergic reaction to the fruit. It is always best to consult a healthcare professional before adding new food or supplement to your diet.
In conclusion, this nutritious fruit with stone apple health benefits. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, potassium, and magnesium, among other nutrients.
Regularly consuming stone apples can help boost your immune system, improve digestion, reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, support heart health, improve skin health, reduce stress, enhance vision, boost energy, and improve bone health.
With so many stone apple health benefits, it’s no wonder the stone apple is a popular fruit in Southeast Asia and Australia.