There are many reasons you may be interested in learning more about mountain savory essential oil. First, it is a natural anti-inflammatory applied topically to the body. Second, you can find a carrier oil such as coconut, jojoba, or olive oil to use the mountain savory essential oil.
Mountain savory essential oil can be helpful for people with intense fatigue and for those with various autoimmune disorders. In addition, some people have reported that this essential oil has helped them treat mycosis.
What is mountain savory?
The herb grows to five to sixteen inches and has leathery needle-like leaves. Its flowers are lavender to pink or white. Mountain savory is considered a superfood because it contains potent antibacterial properties. Its active compounds, such as thymol and carvacrol, help fight infections caused by various bacteria and fungi.
The energizing effects of mountain savory essential oil make it a valuable addition to a daily regimen. In addition, researchers have found that this essential oil is effective against five types of gram-negative bacteria and four different pathogenic fungi.
Types of mountain savory
There are two types of Mountain Savory:
- Summer variety
- Winter variety
Both are cultivated and have similar flavors and colors. However, summer savory is more popular because it is available year-round in stores.
In contrast, winter savory is only found in the wild. Depending on your taste, you might prefer to cook with the summer type or simply use it to season food. Regardless of your preference, either one of these varieties is worth trying.
Summer savory is a popular choice for spicing. Its peppery flavor pairs well with a wide variety of dishes. It is interchangeable with thyme and can be substituted 1:1 in recipes.
The essential oil of mountain savory is extracted from the leaves of the shrubby perennial Satureja montana. It belongs to the botanical family Lamiaceae, including oregano, peppermint, and thyme.
- The leaves of this herb contain high potassium levels, which is essential for heart health.
- It also contains iron, zinc, and vitamin C, which support the immune system.
- Mountain savory contains dietary fiber, which helps keep the digestive system running smoothly.
- It also lowers bad LDL cholesterol and increases good HDL cholesterol in the body.
Health benefits of mountain savory essential oil
The use of mountain savory essential oil can help with various health concerns. Its lemony fragrance is soothing and strengthening. This herb has been distilled in France since 1611.
Several studies prove that it supports the immune system. Historically, mountain savory was used for topical applications in cosmetics and aromatherapy. Here are some of its most notable benefits.
Combat fungal infections
Due to its low molecular weight, mountain savory essential oil penetrates deep into the skin and nails. As a result, it helps combat fungal infections and boosts concentration. Additionally, it can help fill your energy during times of overhaul.
However, it should be used with caution as it is a potent antiseptic. As a result, it is not safe to use mountain savory essential oil on sensitive body parts. And it is not recommended for children under the age of two.
Used for massage
It is also used as a massage oil. The aroma of mountain savory essential oil is sharp and intense, similar to oregano and thyme. It helps dissolve guilt and relieve the need to over-control.
It can also help a person recognize the true meaning of love and is also used for massage. The best way to use this aromatic oil is to mix it with other essential oils for a potent effect. The best way to use it is in a diffuser or add it to a hair mask.
Treat skin ailments
This plant is used in cosmetics and can irritate the skin. This is a must-have essential oil for anyone who is suffering from psoriasis. It can also be added to a diffuser or added to a shampoo and conditioner.
The oil imparts a spicy smell to the bathwater. However, the essential oil is unsuitable for internal use and should be mixed with carrier oil.
Relieves joint pain
Mountain savory essential oil has many health benefits and is very effective in relieving joint pain. In addition, it has anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce swelling and ease joint pain. People with arthritis or rheumatism can benefit from its benefits.
- You can apply mountain savory to the area to relieve the swelling.
- You can also add a few drops to your bathwater and take a long soak.
- You can dilute the mountain savory essential oil with a carrier oil to reduce the symptoms.
- However, for best results, you can use it topically.
Boost immune system
Mountain savory essential oil is a powerful immune system and air-cleansing essential oil.
- It is safe to diffuse, but it may cause a burning sensation if inhaled directly.
- It stimulates the body’s natural defenses and has a beneficial effect on the immune system.
- It is an excellent option for people prone to allergies and looking for natural remedies to fight the common cold and flu.
Improves digestive issues
It is a potent antiseptic and can help those suffering from digestive issues.
- It is especially beneficial for respiratory and digestive system issues.
- It can also aid in treating diarrhea, colic, and flatulence.
- It can reduce the number of non-beneficial organisms in the digestive tract.
- It is a powerful immune stimulant and positively affects the digestive tract when applied topically.
Substitute for mountain savory essential oil
A common alternative is rosemary, identical in taste and texture to savory. So while you’ll want to eat a variety of foods when cooking with savory, you’ll find that this spice is a great way to add a new dimension to your dishes.
Side effects / Precautions
- Although mountain savory essential oil has anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties, it is not suitable for internal consumption.
- It should not be used by people with liver problems.
- It is essential to use mountain savory essential oil only under the guidance of a health care practitioner.
The mountain savory essential oil is generally safe for internal use. It can be added to food or water to give it a spicy, herbal flavor. It can also be mixed with other herbs to create delicious concoctions. And if you’re looking for a dietary supplement, this oil is a perfect choice.
Its spicy, herbaceous aroma is a natural aphrodisiac. When blended with other essential oils, it is an excellent aphrodisiac. If appropriately used, savory mountain oil is a safe and effective solution for any of these conditions. However, it is essential to remember that you shouldn’t apply this oil directly to broken or irritated skin.